Do The Tens Units They Sell At Stores Work? | MyChronicPainTeam

Connect with others who understand.

sign up Log in
About MyChronicPainTeam
Powered By
Real members of MyChronicPainTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
Do The Tens Units They Sell At Stores Work?
A MyChronicPainTeam Member asked a question 💭

I am so so physically and emotionally exhausted from my pain.
When I go to physical therapy, they first put me on a tens unit with a heating pad over it.
Good lord does it ever feel good!!!
It eases my pain tremendously.

I am super curious to know if the ones you can buy at stores, actually give you relief?
I can't afford to waste my money, but if it works I will save every penny.

posted December 27, 2018
View reactions
A MyChronicPainTeam Member

Yes, yes, yes! I got one through the chiropractor. Then I bought a second one on Amazon. They work so well. I have so much tension and pain in my neck and shoulders, my husband puts them on in that area and then I’d lay on a heating pad and it works wonders . I would highly recommend them!! ❤️Sara

posted December 27, 2018
A MyChronicPainTeam Member

I don't know if your insurance will cover it, but mine did years ago. I have a great portable tens unit. Ask your doctor and physical therapist. Good luck!

posted December 31, 2018
A MyChronicPainTeam Member


I have a tens unit, that I bought on-line, and I find it works very well. Jean

posted December 27, 2018 (edited)
A MyChronicPainTeam Member

@A MyChronicPainTeam Member the ones that work in conjunction with the pain patches are based on the same technology. They are one piece instead of the tens unit, leads and contacts. Plus the contacts have the pain cream. As long as the tech is the same they should work. You just wont be able to do a while leg or a shoulder and arm. It will be confined to the size of the patch but you should be okay. Like suggested just keep the receipt and if you arent happy take it back. I got my programmable stim unit from my pain dr. I have an older unit too I get from my pain dr. Simetimes I use both but most if the time only one. I get my contacts off of Ebay. They sell the midrange units with leads and contacts. They are more expensive than what you get at the drugstore but more flexible. You can also Google contact placement and get a map of the body with different configurations for different ailments. Good luck and best wishes to you. If the drugstore unit doesnt work get back with me and I'll see if I cant make arrangements to get you my oldest unit. I just had a stim unit implanted and I really dont need 3.

posted December 27, 2018
A MyChronicPainTeam Member

Your physiotherapist may have TENS machines for sale (I got mine from them) or she can probably tell you where you can find one.

posted December 27, 2018

Related content

View All
Spinal Cord Stimulator
A MyChronicPainTeam Member asked a question 💭
Does Someone Use The Spinal Cord Stimulator?
A MyChronicPainTeam Member asked a question 💭
For Those That Have Used Marijuana, Would You Please Share Your Experience.
A MyChronicPainTeam Member asked a question 💭
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
Your privacy is our priority. By continuing, you accept our Terms of use and Privacy policy.
Already a Member? Log in